Friday, February 19, 2010

A Belated Valentine's Post

My grandma gave me a really cool present. Though it makes me feel a bit odd that she's starting to give more stuff away. It's a little reminder that each day is a little closer to an end. I know that's sad, but it's how I feel about it. In any case I'm glad that she's very thoughtful in what she's giving me.

I didn't notice this when I was last in her sewing room, but it used to be my great-great grandmother's sewing chest of sorts. The laquer is chipping badly, but I cleaned it up and used a good wood oil on it to restore it a little. I kind of like the used look on it.



I don't think it's an antique as I can't find any markings on it, however it's old enough. She didn't clean it out when she gave it to me either so it was like digging thru a mini treasure trove of memories which were good and sad at the same time. Good because it showed me how alike we are, but sad because there were things she'd made for my grandpa years ago when her arthritis wasn't so bad.



There were others too. I'm going to buy a few little frames for them and put them up on my walls.



They feel more special to me than the desk itself. It's a piece of grandma and grandpa that I can always have nearby.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...