Thursday, September 29, 2011

Name that Fern!

 I need your help in naming this fern.  I totally forgot what it was called, but it's absolutely the coolest thing I've seen a plant do outside a Venus Flytrap. This plant was in our Behind the Seeds Tour at Epcot.


The guide joked with us that she has one at home and when new guests arrive she likes to show off her fern.  As the guests are ooo-ing and ahh-ing over it's neato defense system she'll bump the table and the whole plant with contract ALL of it's itty bitty leaves at once.  The guide then likes to tease the new dinner guests by telling them they've killed her plant.  Of course it's not really dead and the plant will open itself back up in a matter of minutes.  Spurred on by this news 3 younger boys in our group promptly gave the potted fern a good shake and made it wilt before our eyes.
Boys will be boys.

3 comments:

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

I posted this on flickr I think, but I believe that's called a sensitive fern. Really super cool to see in action.

Tumus said...

Wonderful! Thank you for telling me. That sounds about right. I thought I could hear the guide on the video say what it was but couldn't make it out.

Tumus said...

Oh I think I just found it, a Touch Me Not Fern: http://www.flowersofindia.in/catalog/slides/Touch%20Me%20Not.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...