Thursday, February 13, 2014

What I'm Reading: All Joy and No Fun, The Paradox of Modern Parenting



I heard an interview on Fresh Air a few weeks back by the author for this book, Jennifer Senior, who is a journalist and mom herself.
It was truly fascinating, depressing, and very insightful.

It's not a book about how to be a better parent or helpful tips and tricks on how to survive the "terrible twos" or angst-ridden teenagers.  It's more a book making sense of thousands of studies done on children and how they effect their parents.

I've never been one to find research books entertaining or enlightening but the way the material is presented along with witty and sometimes sad stories from real life families, it makes for one engaging read.  I'm about half-way thru this book and I find myself wanting to cry and laugh at the same time because, as a parent now, I can totally relate to every single thing that's been discussed so far.

I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to a well thought out book on how drastically children reshape their parents lives.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...